Around this time one year ago, I was thrilled to conduct EMPOWER YOU seminar on the topic of starting a new year strong. I shared a metaphor that I actually never thought about before that still motivates me whenever thinking about finishing something strong to start something strong - BOTTOMS UP.
Yes, bottoms up to finish a year strong to start a year strong (just bare with me, I will clarify it ^_^).
Just imagine that the 'bottle of water' is your capability and 'water' represents for whatever you want to achieve and your job is to change water after each year. Now, if you don't 'bottoms up' the water of the current year; you cannot get the full bottle of new water of the next year. If you 'BOTTOMS UP' 2018 - finish the year 2018 strong - you get ready to BE fully welcoming the whole ‘bottle of new water’’ in 2019.
Here are some ideas to support us finish a year strong:
Re-define the 3 main projects
Move all other potential projects to the next year if they are also important
100% focus on your 3 major projects in the rest of the year
If 3 projects make you overwhelmed, choose one only. The idea is to BOTTOMS UP at least one main project in 2018 that you gain the feeling of completing something instead of being half way that will not be a full start for a new year.
Here are some tools to help you fully focus on the main things in the rest of the year:
PRINCIPLES of the mind to help you achieve your goal (facts):
4 principles to collaborate with our mind (particularly to create the alignment between our conscious - which controls less than 10% of our behaviours and subconscious mind - which controls more than 90% of our behaviours)
1. Interest: Our mind works the best with what we are interested
2. Pain and pleasure: Our mind helps us to avoid pain and gain pleasure
3. Images: Our mind works best with images
4. Familiarity/Habits: Our mind acts upon what is familiar
TOOLS/TECHNIQUES to develop and sustain your performance to finish the year strong (you need to try to see which one is working the best for you)
1. Managing your state of mind with visualising techniques before entering an important event or making a decision or when you have negative feeling (for example, thinking about what do you feel thankful the most, step in that moment of feel them with all senses). This technique primes our SUBCONSCIOUS mind to positive grateful state. Our mind cannot focus on 2 different feelings at the same moment, either positive or negative. From that point, you can make a decision or take bolder action to create better results.
2. The power of perspectives: Looking at things in different perspectives (re-framing techniques) to take better action or change from negative to positive things. You can use 3 questions to re-frame most of any events:
+ How do I/you know that?
+ Redefine the concepts with different words (our mind works the best with certain words, you need to find what words work the best for you)
+ Think from the time aspect (how do you see the things differently with the past, present, future)?
3. Empower empowering beliefs: We need to acknowledge our eliminate our limiting beliefs but we also need to emphasis them and amplify them:
We can use 3 questions for strengthening one empowering belief:
+ What does it mean?
+ How do I know it is true?
+ What make me do that well or be that person?
4. To feel centered and content in the here and NOW:
You can use 3 principles for meditation:
+ Be comfortable
+ Awareness and focus
+ No attachment with outcomes
5. Reflection to take bolder/better action
Reflect after each day to see what can you do better and what you have done to continue reinforcing it.